GRAMMAR FROM FLAX-GOLDEN TALES

1. Make a sensible sentence selecting correct words in the following:
   1)      They are/ is beautiful.
    Ans. They are beautiful.
   2)      They/ Them were/ was beautiful.
    Ans. They were beautiful.
   3)      She were / was an excellent writer.
Ans. She was an excellent writer.
   4)      There are/ is/ isn’t nothing like home.
Ans. There is nothing like home.
   5)      If I were a toad, I’d eat /ate files.
Ans. If I were a toad, I’d eat files.
   6)      You /Them was/ were great!
Ans. You were great!
   7)      You is/ are great!
Ans. You are great!
   8)      This story / Stories are/ Is for the birds.
Ans. This story is for the birds.
   9)      This /these stories was/ were for the birds.
Ans. These thieves were for the birds.
  10)  Them/ These thieves are/ is heartless.
Ans. These thieves are heartless.
2. Edit the following sentences.
   1)      Calmly reading, they called her name.
Ans. They called her name while she was calmly reading.
   2)      I was trying to look up Ram. A handsome man.
Ans. I was trying to look up that handsome man Ram.
   3)      Shanti  wanted too go home with Prem, but he was to busy.
Ans. Shanti wanted to go home with Prem, but he was too busy.
   4)      I love, adoring, and cherish him.
Ans. I love, adore, and cherish him.
   5)      Chandra likes. To reads books or listening to Sitar music.
Ans. Chandra likes to read books and listen to Sitar music.
   6)      The reason why he did this is because he was hungry.
Ans. He did this because he was hungry.
   7)      I should have went to Dharan.
Ans. I should have gone to Dharan.
   8)      She would have rather be a hammer then a nail.
Ans. She would rather be a hammer then a nail.
   9)      She smile as she sing.
Ans. She smiles as the sings.
3. Delouse (correct) or edit the following sentences.
   1)      The train departs at a reasonably early hour.
Ans. The train departs at a reasonable early hour.
   2)      The driver was experience.
Ans. The driver was experienced.
   3)      Our swimming pool is more deeper than Phewa Lalke.
Our swimming pool is deeper than Phewa Lake.
   4)      This guy is really the most craziest guy I have ever seen.
Ans. He is the craziest guy I have ever seen.
   5)      Seven candidate entered the mayor race in Pokhara.
Ans. Seven candidates entered the mayoral race in pokhara.
   6)      He didn’t guard no pool.
Ans. He didn’t guard the pool.
   7)      It ain’t nothing but a rooster.
Ans. It’s only a rooster. 
   8)      The boy is black handsome and smart.
Ans. The boy is black handsome and smart.
   9)      Every student, attending on English class must be open minded
Ans. Every student attending an English class must be open minded.
  10)  Along came john; the town’s idiot.
Ans. Along came john, the town’s idiot.
  11)  She is every bodys friend.
Ans. She is every body’s friend.
  12)  She works at the emergency ward, children’s hospital.
Ans. She works at the emergency ward, children’s Hospital.
  13)  Its about time you got off your high horse.
Ans. It’s about time you got off your high horse.
  14)  I cann’t stand the thought of losing her.
I can’t stand the thought of losing her.
  15)  I to, am made of flesh and blood.
Ans. I Too am made of flesh and blood.
  16)  Padma procrastinated about where he ate dinner.
Ans. Padma evaded questions about where he ate dinner.
  17)  No, She didn’t say it she only implicated it.
Ans. No she only implied it.
  18)  My brother is a great football player.
Ans. My brother is a great football player.
  19)  At this point of time, I want to go home.
Ans. I want to go home.
  20)  The milk of cow has many uses.
Ans. Cow milk has many uses.
  21)  I know a old man like to play marbles.
Ans. I know an old man who likes to play marbles.
 22)  This problem easy to solve.
Ans. This problem is easy to solve.
  23)  Rain here is an plentiful as Biratnagar.
Ans. Rain here is as plentiful as it is in Biratnager.
  24)  The reason I failed the test is because the instructor is stupid.
Ans. I failed the test because the instructor is stupid.
  25)  Arati miss her bus.
Ans. Arati missed her bus.
  26)  Keep eye on this student.
Ans. Keep an eye on this student.
  27)  Half-frozen, a ski patrol saved me.
Ans. Half- frozen,  I was saved by a ski patrol.
  28)  Arun likes to read books or listening to pop music.
Ans. Arun likes reading books or listening to pop music.
  29)  If a person is going to become a better writer, you should work harder.
Ans. If a person is going to become a better writer, you should work hard.
  30)  In Susma’s essay it says that she is lonely.
Ans. Susma’s essay says she is lonely.
  31)  My only source of support are my relatives.
Ans. My only source of support s my relatives.
  32)  Miako, however, hung back but no one even noticed.
Ans. Miako hung back, but no one noticed.
  33)  The prime minister is courting a taxpayers revolt.
Ans. The Prime Minister is courting a taxpayer’s revolt.
  34)  The town which I grew up in only had one school.
Ans. I grew up in a town which had only one school.
  35)  There is no life on Mars, Jupiter, or on Venus.
Ans. There is no life on Mars, Jupiter, or Venus.
  36)  Pollution is a problem both city and country.
Ans. Pollution is a problem in both in the city and the country.
  37)  Jim asked Jerry if he could leave.
Ans. “Jerry”, asked Jim, “can I leave?”
  38)  If the baby does not like raw milk, boil it.
Ans. Boil the milk if the baby doesn’t like it raw.
  39)  Pokhara is one of the tourist areas of Nepal.
Ans. Pokhara is one of the tourist areas of Nepal.
  40)  The sky are falling.
Ans. The sky is falling.
  41)  Ganga advised me to go to university.
Ans. Ganga advised me to go to university.
  42)  After studying for hours, the cafeteria is full students.
Ans. After studying for ours, the students crowded into the cafeteria.
  43)  When the doves coo remind me of village.
Ans. The cooing dove remind me of village.
  44)  Your face resemble that of your father who was tall.
Ans. You resemble your father.
  45)  I’m feel more healthy in Arghakhanchi than in Kathmandu.
Ans. I feel healthier in Arghakhanchi than in Kathmandu.
  46)  Not to speak of English, Rinasa can’t even talk in Nepali.
Ans. Rinasa can’t speak Nepali, let alone English.
  47)  I went there with a view to buying a book.
Ans. I went there to buy a book.
  48)  Their just isn’t enough time to lose our way.
Ans. There isn’t enough time to lose our way
  49)  Half- starved, the mountaineers people saved my life.
Ans. I was half-starved, when the mountaineers saved my life.
  50)  She should have came to the party. Merry and beautiful.
Ans. Looking marry and beautiful, she should have come to the party.
  51)  I hate abhor, and despising him.
Ans. I hate, abhor, and despise him
  52)  Boy’s will be boy’s.
Ans. Boys will be boys.
  53)  There is story it implicates that live is to hard to find
Ans. This story implies that love is too hard to find.
  54)  If you want to do well in school, we should work harder.
Ans. If you want to do well in school, you should work harder.
  55)  There is no place like home.
Ans. There is no place like home.
  56)  I should have wrote this letter to he long before.
Ans. I should have written this letter o he long before.
  57)  If I was rich man, I shall buy you a car.
Ans. If I were a rich man, I would buy you a car.
  58)  Lers get moving.
Ans. Let’s get moving.
  59)  The skys the limit.
Ans. The sky’s the limit.
  60)  The reason I dropped this class is because the teacher is proudy.
Ans. I dropped this class because the teacher is proud.
4) select the correct options in the following sentence
 a)      The data clearly show/ shows that he is mistaken.
Ans. The data clearly show that he is mistaken.
      b)      The criteria we applied in this case is/ are mistaken.
Ans. the criteria we applied in this case are mistaken.
      c)      Nepal is facing a crisis/ crises of fuel.
Ans. Nepal is facing  crisis of fuel.
      d)      Tribhuvan University has thousands of alumnus/ alumni.
Ans. tribhuvan University has thousands of alumni.
      e)      The spinal column of human beings is made up of many vertebral/ vertebrae.
Ans. the spinal column of human beings is made up of many vertebrae.
      f)       In a beehive, the queen has many offspring/ offsprings.
Ans. in a beehive, the queen has many offspring.
5) Write the plurals in the following words.

Singular
Dog
Day
Edge
Box
Osprey
Horse
Foot
Woman
Tomato
fungus
Plural
Dogs
Days
Edges
Boxes
Ospreys
Horses
Feet
Women
Tomatoes
Fungi
Singular
Puppy
Thief
Jeaf
Loaf
Notch
Ass
Goose
Louse
Alga
thesis
Plural
Puppies
Thieves
Leaves
Loaves
Notches
Asses
Geese
Lice
Algae
theses